Sunday, August 9, 2009

Atllanta Exhibit : America I Am


Many thanks and kudos to Tavis Smiley for bringing the America I Am Exhibit to the Atlanta Civic Center this summer. My son and I went to the exhibit on Saturday and I was amazed at this huge undertaking. The gallery of artifacts, videos and memorobilia showcases over 400 years of African-American history. The exhibition explores how African-Americans have contributed to and shaped American culture across four core areas: economic, socio-political, cultural and spiritual, and relates important events and stories of people from the beginnings of the nation through the present day, including the inauguration of the first African American president. If you get the chance to go I would take it right away. The exhibit runs through September 6, 2009 at the Atlanta Civic Center (exhibition hall is on the lower level). The exhibit which debuted in Philadelphia, PA on January 15, 2009 will continue to travel to other cities throughout the country after it leaves Atlanta. This is part of a 4-year journey to ten major cities, including stops in Chicago and Los Angeles. I will post on the blog when I have the upcoming exhibition dates and cities . Thanks also to Walmart for its sponsorship of this exhibit and for helping to make it more affordable for all who wish to attend. Tickets, by the way, are $10 for adults (ages 13 and up) and $4 for children 3 to 12 and can be purchased at any Georgia Walmart Customer Service Center. Children 2 and under are free. There are also discounts for senior citizens (check with the civic center box office for more information). Georgia residents click here (see bottom of the page) for the opportunity to get 2 free childrens tickets courtesy of Northern Trust. A limited number are currently available.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram

  Check me out on Instagram   Powered by Curator.io Powered by Curator.io