Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My black History Month Contribution

Good Day All -- Yes I realize I waited until the last day of Black History Month to make this post but hey, better late than never, right? I came across this poem while studying about the "certain women" of the bible who were disciples of Jesus Christ. There are also "certain women" in our own rich Black "Herstory" This poem from Alice Walker sums it up best for me

"Women" by Alice Walker

They were women then
My mama's generation
Husky of voice- Stout of
Step
With fists as well as
Hands
How they battered down
Doors
And ironed
Starched white
Shirts
How they led
Armies
Headdragged Generals
Across mined
Fields
Booby-trapped
Ditches
To discover books
Desks
A place for us
How they knew what we
Must know
Without knowing a page
Of it
Themselves.


Happy Black History Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Instagram

  Check me out on Instagram   Powered by Curator.io Powered by Curator.io